The CSJ Scholars Application Process
The Seton Hall Law School Center for Social Justice (CSJ) will name as Center for Social Justice Scholars two outstanding students from the first-year class who demonstrate a strong commitment to public service and who are planning public interest careers. This opportunity is open to all students in their first year of law school, including day/evening part-time or full-time students. One CSJ Scholar will work with the International Human Rights/Rule of Law initiative and the other CSJ Scholar will work with the Urban Revitalization initiative. The Scholars, who will serve until graduation, will be offered a range of public interest opportunities and benefits, including:
- $10,000 tuition scholarship for each of the two remaining years in law school;
- assistance in locating summer internships at prestigious public interest organizations, with a stipend funded through a Public Interest Legal Fellowship;
- the opportunity to work during the student’s second year as an extern with a CSJ faculty member;
- the opportunity to work as a research assistant during the second year for a professor whose scholarship focuses on a public interest topic of interest to the scholar;
- enrollment in a clinic for a full year during the final year of law school; and,
- participation in educational and networking events for CSJ Scholars.
Interested applicants must submit electronically: (1) a resume; (2) an unofficial transcript; (3) one legal writing sample; (4) one letter of recommendation; (5) one additional reference; and, (6) a cover letter articulating the student’s commitment to public interest law and indicating whether he or she would like to be considered for the International Human Rights/Rule of Law Project or the Urban Revitalization Project. Please submit applications to Daphney West at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, February 28, 2013. The letter of recommendation may be submitted directly to Ms. West by the recommender. Questions may be directed to Daphney West, Manager of Center for Social Justice Operations, at email@example.com or 973-642-8715.