Cap & Gown Information
May 20, 2014: Cap and Gown Party at 3:30 pm on the Schiff Courtyard. Academic regalia is distributed while friends, family, and graduates enjoy food and celebrate the beginning of Commencement.
May 22, 2014: Baccalaureate Mass at 4:00 pm in the Seton Hall Law School Auditorium. Friends and family welcome.
May 23, 2014: Commencement Day, 10:00 a.m.
- NO TICKETS ARE REQUIRED. ALL GRADUATES MAY BRING UNLIMITED GUESTS.
General Information: There are no tickets required.
Guest Seating: Seating is first come, first served basis, but please note that all seats provide excellent viewing and there is no shortage of seating. Graduates will be seated on the floor alphabetically. More information will follow as to the specifics.
Prudential Center offers ADA compliant seating on all levels, and provides complimentary wheelchair escorts for guests with special needs when requested. Guests with special needs can be picked up and dropped off at the corner of Mulberry and Lafayette, and ramps are provided for entrance through the Verizon Tower. Prudential Center also provides accommodated seating for guests with visual impairments and assisted listening devices. A shuttle will be available to transport guests between the law school and the Prudential Center both before and after the ceremony.
Hotels and Lodging
Below is a list of area hotels for your convenience.
858 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102-2611
Hilton Newark Penn Station
1048 Raymond Boulevard
Newark, NJ 07102
Hampton Inn Newark Riverwalk
100 Passaic Ave
Harrison, NJ 07029
Best Western Robert Treat Hotel
50 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102
Parking and Transportation
- Public Transportation: PATH light rail and NJ Transit trains operate frequent service to Newark Penn Station. Amtrak trains and Greyhound buses also serve Newark Penn Station. Walk to Seton Hall Law from Penn Station by taking the street-level exits to Raymond Plaza West. Turn right and go ½ block to Raymond Boulevard. Turn left and cross McCarter Highway at the next intersection. Seton Hall is across Raymond Boulevard to your right. Law School entrance is mid-block on Raymond. Continue past the law school to Mulberry Street; make a left on Mulberry. Continue down Mulberry Street three blocks, and Prudential Center will be straight ahead.
- Automobile: Pick your favorite highway and take it to either the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway.
NJ TURNPIKE, EXIT 15W: Follow I-280 West to Exit 15. Take Route 21 South (McCarter Highway) 1/4 mile to Raymond Boulevard and turn right. Seton Hall Law is on your right. Make a left on Mulberry Street and Prudential Center will be straight ahead.
GARDEN STATE PARKWAY, EXIT 145: Follow I-280 East to Exit 15. Take Route 21 South (McCarter Highway) 1/4 mile to Raymond Boulevard and turn right. Seton Hall Law is on your right. Make a left on Mulberry Street and Prudential Center will be straight ahead.
If you are traveling from Newark International Airport by car: There is substantial road construction on the major roadways around Newark International Airport. Even if you are familiar with the area, you will need to allow extra time and read signs carefully. Signs and re-routed roadways seem to change almost daily.
You may take the NJ Turnpike North and follow the above directions, or follow signs for Route 21 North into downtown Newark. When you pass Market Street and see the Gateway Hilton ahead to your right, get in the far left lane and turn left at the next intersection--Raymond Boulevard. Seton Hall Law is to the right after you turn. Make a left on Mulberry Street and Prudential Center will be straight ahead.
- Parking: Seton Hall Law does not have its own parking facility, but we recommend:
LAZ Parking at One Newark Center: adjacent to Seton Hall Law. Proceed past the Law School on Raymond Boulevard and turn right onto Mulberry St. Then turn right onto the Kinney/Central Parking Garage. After parking, use the exit on Level C to get to the Law School.
Photos will be taken by Island Photography. Each graduate will have two pictures taken: a formal portrait taken and a photograph of him or her receiving their diploma. Island Photography will contact each graduate directly about purchasing prints.
Restaurants in the Area
We recommend making reservations for mid to late afternoon, as both guests and graduates will likely want to enjoy the Champagne Brunch. Some restaurants in Newark are:
- Newark Club: The Newark Club is accepting reservations for lunch/dinner for all graduates. The menu is a la carte. Please call 973-242-0658 for reservations.
- Mompou: at 77 Ferry Street in the Ironbound.
- Brick City: 35 Edison Place, across from Prudential Center.
- Scully's: 11 Clinton Street, near the Law School.
- 27 Mix: 27 Halsey Street, near the Law School.
- Fornos: 47 Ferry Street in the Ironbound.
- Iberia: 67 Ferry Street in the Ironbound.
- Adega: 130 Ferry Street in the Ironbound.
Please refer all questions to the Office of Student Services at 973-642-8707.