This course provides an overview of the basic doctrines of patent law, as well as related rights, such as trade secret law and drug law exclusivity under the Hatch-Waxman Act. Topics covered within our patent law programs include the standards and procedures for obtaining patent protection, patent infringement litigation, the relationship between patent protection and trade secret law, and the role of patent law and litigation in the pharmaceutical industry.
Upon completion of our patent law course, you will be able to:
- Explain the policies underlying patent law, trade secrets and the Hatch-Waxman Act
- Identify the basic workings of the patent system, specifically prosecution and litigation
- Analyze the relationship between patent law and trade secrets
- Identify the use of patent law, intellectual property law, trade secrets and the Hatch-Waxman Act as legal tools for developing and commercializing pharmaceutical inventions
- Assess ongoing controversies affecting the development of patent law and the pharmaceutical market
Seton Hall Law School offers our online graduate law certificate programs during our fall, spring and summer semesters. New course sessions begin five times per year.