Law School Updates and Frequently Asked Questions   

As our understanding of COVID-19 evolves, Seton Hall works to update our plans and policies appropriately. Reopening the University and Law School is dependent on the progression of the State of New Jersey's phased reopening plan and is subject to the State's approval of our individual restart plan. The following frequently asked questions will be updated as new information becomes available.

Updates and Messages

When will the Spring 2021 semester begin? 

Weekend classes begin January 23-24, and Weekday classes begin January 25. The Spring 2021 academic calendar outlines the rest of the semester.

Are Spring 2021 classes being offered on campus?

Yes. The law school is implementing the same HyFlex education plan rolled out in the Fall semester whereby most classes will be offered in-person at the law school. Students will be socially distanced in the classrooms according to New Jersey state and University guidelines.

Is the Spring 2021 academic calendar very different than previous years?

The biggest change this semester to the academic calendar is the elimination of Spring Break.

How will Spring 2021 exams be offered and graded?

Spring exams will be administered remotely. Exams will be graded according to the law school's normal grading schemas.

Please remember - the law school is still closed to all except necessary employees. Administrative offices continue to operate virtually during regular business hours.

More Information and Resources

  1. Law School Academic Calendar
  2. Grades
  3. Course Catalogue
  4. Library

The Law School HyFlex and Re-opening Plan

The Law School is operating under the Seton Hall University Restart Plan (see Appendix C: The Law School HyFlex and Re-Opening Plan) . Decisions regarding HyFlex will continue to be made based upon public health and University guidance to ensure the best interest of the Seton Hall Law community.

The New York Court of Appeals has waived its limit on distance education credits for Spring 2021. The ABA granted the Law School a variance from the credit limitations of standard 306(e) for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. 

Seton Hall Law remains steadfast in its mission to provide an outstanding legal education and produce graduates who are prepared to pass the bar.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Chaplain's Office
  2. Alumni
  3. Student Services
  4. Enrollment Services
  5. Financial Aid
  6. Center for Social Justice
  7. Career Services
  8. Admissions
  9. Library

Chaplain's Office

Will Mass continue to be celebrated in the St. Thomas More Chapel and is the chapel open for prayer?

Beginning January 26, Mass will be celebrated in the St. Thomas More Chapel on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:40 p.m.  Seating capacity in the chapel has been reduced to allow for appropriate distancing in compliance with the Archdiocesan guidelines. The chapel remains open for prayer when the building is open.

Are individuals not currently part of the law school population (i.e., current students, faculty, administration, staff) welcome to attend Mass or pray in the chapel?

Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future, guests will not be permitted to attend Mass or use the chapel for private prayer. This is in order to minimize the possibility of inadvertently introducing the novel coronavirus into the law school environment.

Will the Chaplain be available to meet with students individually?

Yes. As always, students may reach out to Fr. Nick via email to set up an appointment, or they may contact Sharon Carone, his Administrative Assistant, at her desk on the 3rd floor in Student Services or at 973-642-8511, or they may stop at Fr. Nick's office, room 113A, in the corridor leading to the Center for Social Justice.

Is the Sacrament of Reconciliation available during the academic year?

Yes. Students, faculty, administration and staff may schedule a time with Fr. Nick for sacramental confession following the same procedures outlined in the previous FAQ. If they are scheduling through Sharon Carone, there is no need to specify their desire for confession if they prefer not to do so.

Back to top


Are scheduled alumni events taking place as planned?

The Office of Alumni and Development has cancelled or postponed all in person events until further notice. Many virtual events are planned for the coming months.  Please check your inbox for email invitations, visit our alumni events webpage, and look for listings in our Sidebar e-newsletter for upcoming events. If you have any other event/alumni related questions, please contact Lori Thimmel at [email protected] or 973-642-8711.

Back to top

Student Services

What is happening with student organization events?

Student organization events for the Spring of 2021 may be held remotely or in-person, depending on the size of the event. Students looking to schedule an event or with questions on this should email EB Anastasio ([email protected]).

How do I get involved with the Student Bar Association (SBA)?

The Student Bar Association will meet (both virtually and in-person) on four Sunday's throughout the Spring 2021 semester.  If you are interested in attending or want to learn more about becoming an SBA Senator, please refer to the Student Bar Association webpage.

Who can I contact if I need assistance with a housing, medical, academic issue or some other matter in the event of a quarantine?

Student Services questions should be directed to Dean Cascarano at [email protected] or by phone 973-986-3798.

  1. Medical questions should be directed to University Health Services at 973-761-9175.
  2. Contact Dr. Kristina Vande Vrede for Counseling Services at 973-761-9500 or by visiting Counseling and Psychological Services.
  3. Topics related to student events and activities can be directed to Elizabeth (EB) Anastasio at [email protected] or by phone (201) 359-7411.

What is happening with Commencement?

The May 2020 Commencement ceremony and related events were postponed by the University on March 18,2020. Please check the Law School's Commencement webpage for details on a future date.

What are my options for parking?

For a list of parking garages in the area, please consult the Commuting: Transportation and Parking webpage

What should I do if I am/was a monthly parker with the LAZ Parking Garage?

Contact LAZ parking at 973-621-7466 to restart your monthly parking or complete the application on their webpage to sign up for monthly parking.

Back to top

Enrollment Services

How do I view my bill / pay my account online?

If you choose to pay online, you can by logging into Lawnet via the SHU Law website, clicking on the "My info" tab, and selecting view and pay my account within the "my bursar"section. This will direct you to touch net, where you can pay by electronic check (no charge) or by credit/ debit card (2.85% manufacturer’s fee). If you need assistance on how to make a payment online, please feel free to ask. I have also included PowerPoint showing step by step instructions. Any questions about billing, payment plans, late fees, holds or 1098-Ts can be directed to [email protected].

How can I get an official Transcript, Form Letter, or Letter of Good Standing?

All the forms that students may need can be found here. They can be sent electronically via email to [email protected] for processing. We can email unofficial transcripts but can only mail official transcripts.

Where can I send my School Certificate for the BAR?

Please send those forms to [email protected] for processing.

What is the current grading scheme for Spring 2021?

Detailed information about Fall semester grades is available here.

When will exams be administered for Spring 2021?

All exams will be administered remotely between April 30, 2021 and May 15, 2021.

Back to top

Financial Aid

I want to increase my loan for this academic year, what do I need to do?

Please, fill out a Loan Adjustment Form. If you do not have a graduate PLUS loan, please Apply for the Graduate Plus Loan.

What happens if I run out of money or need extra money for living expenses, but I already have the maximum financial aid for this year?

Please, fill out a Request for a Budget Increase form and provide your supporting documents.

I have an emergency that requires me to get immediate funding. Who can I contact?

Please contact Dean Sokol at [email protected] or 973-642-8738. You may also complete the Law Student Emergency Fund Request Form.

Back to top

Center for Social Justice

Is the Center for Social Justice open?

Yes, the Center is open, although employees are working remotely most of the time. If you need to reach someone in the Center or have any questions about clinic work, please call the CSJ main number, 973-642-8700. This number will be answered during regular business hours, M-F, 9-5. You can also email inquiries to Lori Borgen, CSJ Director, at [email protected], or send mail to the following address: Seton Hall University School of Law, 833 McCarter Highway, Newark, NJ, 07102.

Are CSJ attorneys and students still going to courts, jails, and detention centers?

CSJ attorneys are closely monitoring all notices and policies posted by courts, detention centers, and jails regarding court appearances, and will follow all safety protocols while continuing to represent our clients and their interests. At this time, most court appearances are remote.

How will I know when operations are back to normal?

We will post any changes to CSJ operations and hours to this website.

I am seeking assistance. Can I go to the CSJ office?

Please call 973-642-8700 if you are seeking assistance. The CSJ office is not open for visitors. Most client meetings will be held by phone, so you should check with your individual attorney before coming to the Law School. Guests and visitors to Seton Hall Law School, including clients of the Center for Social Justice, must follow the University policy regarding a visit to the Law School. Before entering the building, an individual must complete a health screening form and have their temperature checked. Please call for clarification BEFORE you go to the Law School.

I am a client of the CSJ and you have original documents that I need. When can I come get them?

Please call 973-642-8700 to discuss your request with a staff member. If the document is not needed immediately, we can arrange a time to pick it up. Should you need an original document urgently, we will work with you to send the document via FedEx or another secure carrier at no cost to you, or arrange a time for you to pick up the document at the Law School security desk.

Is the Center for Social Justice taking new cases?

Yes. If you are seeking legal information or advice, please call 973-642-8700 and we will let you know if we are able to assist you. If you have a foreclosure-related question, please submit your inquiry online at


Back to top

Career Services

How will remote learning impact my daily interactions with the staff in the Office of Career Services (OCS)?

OCS staff are available – as always – by email and phone.

How do I meet with my counselor?

We recommend that students continue to email their counselor directly to schedule a meeting. Students are encouraged to meet with their counselor over the phone, by Facetime, or using Zoom Meetings during the remote learning period.

If you do not know who your counselor is, please email Maria Capra ([email protected]) and she will reach out to your counselor and have her contact you.

Will Symplicity continue to be updated?

Yes, Symplicity will continue to be updated as per our usual process. We recommend that students continue to check the site on a regular basis.

Will mock interviews still be done and, if so, how and where?

We will continue to conduct mock interviews, but during the remote learning period we will likely conduct them via the phone, Facetime or a Zoom Meeting. Please email your counselor to set up a mock interview and check your email for Mock Interview Programming.

How do I get my resume/cover letter reviewed?

If you need your resume/cover letter reviewed, email a draft to your counselor (in Word) and she will provide edits/comments using Track Changes. The counselors are happy to then discuss the edits/comments over the phone, Facetime or through Zoom Meeting.

What is the best way to communicate with OCS?

The best way to communicate with OCS (especially to set up appointments) is via email or phone.

  1. June Forrest: [email protected], 973-642-8595
  2. Mel Powers: [email protected], 973-642-8485
  3. Emily Brown: [email protected], 973-642-8735
  4. Kylie Cohen: [email protected], 973-642-8593
  5. Maria Capra: [email protected], 973-642-8869

I've emailed my counselor, how long should I wait for a response?

During periods of remote learning, we anticipate that the number of daily emails each counselor receives will increase. Therefore, we ask all students to be patient and give their counselor 48 hours to respond during the school week before sending a follow-up email. If you have an urgent matter, please include URGENT in the subject line of the email so that the counselor knows to address the email as soon as possible.

Where do I look for employment (long and short term positions)?

If you are looking for employment for the semesters of for Summer 2021, as well as for post graduation employment, please email your counselor. We recommend that students continue to check Symplicity on a regular basis for new job postings, participate in each phase of OCI/RR, and review all email job postings from Maria Capra announcing job opportunities.

Where can I go to get a document notarized?

If you need a document notarized, check first with a local bank as many bank branches always have a notary public on hand and some will do it for free. Shipping stores, such as the UPS Store, as well as many libraries also offer notary services. It is best to call ahead to make sure a notary is available and to check to see if there is a fee.

Will there still be interviews conducted in the Career Services Suite for OCI?

Interviews will likely be conducted remotely. Employer preference will dictate how and where an interview is conducted. We will continue to keep you updated as to the locations of the interviews as the employers make our office aware.

Will the employers in the OCI program contact students directly?

The communication for OCI will continue as it has – primarily through OCS, but sometimes through the employer. If you are uncertain of how a particular employer is communicating regarding a specific position, please contact your career counselor and we can let you know how to proceed.

How will OCI change?

Fall OCI has been shifted to January/February 2021.  This is generally for students in the Class of 2022 seeking their Summer 2021 employment, but there certainly are a limited number of opportunities for graduating students.

The Spring OCI timeline will continue as it has in the past, which is generally during the entire spring semester.  It is primarily for the Classes of 2022, 2023, and 2024 seeking Summer 2021opportunities.

We will accommodate employers who still want to interview in the fall to ensure students are not missing out on any opportunities.  But this emphasizes the importance of checking your emails regularly and using Symplicity as directed.

Who do I contact to cancel an interview?

If you need to cancel an interview more than 24 hours in advance contact Maria Capra and she will guide you as to what your next step would be. If you need to cancel an interview less than 24 hours in advance contact both the employer and Maria Capra.

How will this affect applying for judicial externships?

It will not. Continue to apply directly to Chambers working with your Career Counselor. We are continuing to work with the courts to coordinate submission of materials electronically.  Consult with your Career Counselor for further direction.

Will there still be Research Assistant positions available through SHU Law?

Yes. Watch for postings on Symplicity.

Is a remote interview different from an in-person interview?

Although the manner of the interview is different, you should treat your preparation for the remote interview the same way that you would treat an in-person interview. Be aware of what the interviewer will see behind you-remove unprofessional and personal materials and utilize the backgrounds provided by SHU Law.

For all remote interviews, find a quiet place where you can conduct the interview without interruption. If the remote interview is via video, please wear a suit. Give yourself plenty of time to dial in or connect to the meeting. Do not sit in a swivel chair. Do not lean into the camera too closely. Make sure that you send a thank you note after the interview in the same manner that you would after an in-person interview. Consult with Career Services if you have any questions.

How do I handle not shaking hands during interviews?

It is currently acceptable not to shake someone’s hand. You can simply say hello and politely state that you are following general Coronavirus safety protocols and refraining from shaking hands. The employer will understand.

How can I ask to have a remote interview in lieu of going to an employer's office?

It is perfectly acceptable to ask for a remote interview under these circumstances.  You should contact the employer using the method that they used to contact you. Contact your Career Counselor for help in crafting an email or for help with making the request.

Are Career Services events being canceled?

No; however, all events will be remote until further notice.

How will this affect the PILF and Ackerman process?

The application process for each of these will be done entirely remotely.  Keep an eye on your emails during the semester for further instructions.

Can I still apply for out-of-state externships?

Yes, but please consult with Professor Borgen before you do.

Will I still get credit for my externship if I'm remote?

Please email Professor Borgen at [email protected] in the Center for Social Justice for questions about externships, and refer to the externship guide for specific policies.

Should I still register for scheduled Career Fairs and meetings hosted by outside organizations (Patent Legal Career Fair, NAWL Conference)?

Yes, and follow all posted deadlines. Additionally, watch for announcements from those organizations as well as OCS regarding rescheduling or cancellations.


Is the Admissions office open?

Yes, the Admissions Team continues to be available to assist you in your application process. It is possible that personnel will not be available to answer your call immediately, but if you leave a message, a member of our team will contact you shortly thereafter.

Are tours and class visits still available?

With New Jersey in Phase 2, the Admissions office can only schedule tours for one person or family at a time. You can make arrangements to visit the building on our website, or you may visit the building virtually.

When will tours, visits, and events return to normal schedule?

While it is impossible to predict when the situation will change, we will continue to monitor the situation and keep you posted with any updates and changes in policy.

Do you expect law school classes to be offered in person?

Yes. The law school continues to implement a HyFlex education plan whereby most classes will be offered in-person at the law school. Students will be socially distanced in the classrooms according to New Jersey state and University guidelines. 

Back to top


Is the Rodino Center open?

Current Seton Hall Law students, faculty, and Class of 2020 students studying for the Bar may visit the Rodino Center while the building is open. Please observe social distancing guidelines and only sit in designated areas. The building is currently closed to all other alumni, attorneys, and visitors. Please visit our remote services guide for a list of remote services available.

The Service Desk is staffed from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and we monitor our Live Chat throughout the day. For weekend support give us a call at 973-642-8017 or email [email protected]

What study spaces are available?

Tables, chairs, and carrels are available for individual study throughout the Rodino Center. Please only sit in designated places, 6 feet from all other visitors, and do not move the furniture. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Should we need to limit capacity, the individual seat reservation system will be active.

Study rooms are available to individuals using the Study Room Reservation software. Social distancing guidelines will not allow for more than one person in a study room at a time. Reservations are limited to morning and afternoon reservation periods and begin and end at a specified time for all rooms. Time is blocked off between use to allow for cleaning of all rooms. Cleaning supplies are available in each room for students to use in addition to the regular cleaning procedures. This policy will be reevaluated and adjusted as needed.

We may need to limit the number of times students can reserve a room each week to help ensure equity and access to as many students as possible.

How can I access textbooks and other research materials?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide copies of most textbooks for checkout this semester, due to cost and quarantine measures. For many courses, electronic copies of textbooks are available for student checkout. Information can be found on the Course Reserves page. If you have concerns about affording the cost of textbook rental or purchase, please contact Student Services or Financial Aid. This policy will be updated as circumstances allow. 

For your other research needs, many other ebooks and databases are available electronically.

Can I borrow a print book?

We are currently lending print materials from our collection. Please do not pull your own books from the collections, but instead request your item through the catalog. A staff member will retrieve the item for you, place it for pick up at the entrance to the Rodino Center, and notify you when it is available. 

We encourage you to quarantine items at home before use. Information about quarantine procedures will be included with your item. 

Can I borrow something through Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?

We are currently placing requests for electronic materials, such as articles and book chapters/excerpts. We will attempt to borrow a print book for you, but we may be unable to locate a lending library at this time. Use the “Request Item” button from the catalog record or email your request to [email protected] and we’ll follow up with you shortly.

How can I access study aids and supplements?

You have access to many study aids and supplements on West Academic, including Nutshells, Gilberts, Short & Happy Guides, Sum and Substance audio, hornbooks, and more.

How do I access the lessons on CALI?

CALI offers more than 1,000 interactive lessons on a wide variety of law school classes and topics. If you haven't created your account yet, email [email protected] to request the authorization code and use your SHU email address to create a login. (We can't share the code online, but we'll respond as quickly as we can! You only need the code for initial set up.)

What if I never set up my Westlaw/Lexis/etc., account?

Email [email protected] and we'll help! If you have trouble with an existing account, contact the vendor's customer service team directly.

Where can I access past exams for my class?

Many archived exams are available online. Be sure to also check with your professor for the best review materials available for your class and how to access them.

Who do I contact for research assistance?

Librarians are available to help you remotely. Call 973-642-8769 or email [email protected]. We also have online research guides on many topics to help you write papers or research many legal topics.

Who do I contact if I can't find the answer to my question here?

Email [email protected] and we'll be in touch!