Information for the graduating Class of 2018. Congratulations!
The following contains important graduation information and dates. Please read carefully and mark your calendars.
Graduation Kick-off Event
Monday, April 9, 2018 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. | Law School Atrium
- At this event you can get your bar application notarized, purchase your class ring or diploma frame (for those interested), and order your cap and gown.
- Food, drink, raffles and a great time!
Caps and Gowns Order Information
Must submit order by April 13, 2018
The website to place your cap and gown order is now up and running. Place your order at https://www.herffjones.com/college/graduation Important: You Must Place This Order by April 13!
If you are graduating with your Juris Doctoris (your law degree), you will choose a Doctorate gown. If you are graduating with your LLM or MSJ, you will choose a Masters gown. There is no fee for the rental. If you don’t know your cap size, a representative from Herff Jones will be here on April 9 at the Graduation Kick-off Party to take your measurements. There is also a measurement tool pinned to the bulletin board in Student Services. Please be considerate and replace this measurement tool for your fellow graduates after you use it.
Cap and Gown Party
Tuesday, May 22, 2018 from 3:30-6:00 p.m. | Law School
The Deans, Faculty and Administration will be hosting a Cap and Gown Party.
- The party will take place at the law school and is open to all graduates, their friends and family.
- Graduates will pick up their gowns on this date beginning at 3:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.
Commencement Mass & Awards Ceremony
Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. | Law School
A special Graduation Commencement Mass will be celebrated on Wednesday, May 23 at 4:00 p.m. at the Law School. The Awards Ceremony will follow at 5:00 p.m. with a reception immediately thereafter. Family and friends are invited.
Thursday, May 24 at 4:00 p.m. | New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC, Newark, NJ). Each student is afforded 10 tickets to the ceremony. Please complete the Graduation Student Commencement Ticket Request form here! Please, refer to the Class of 2018 Graduation" email sent on March 13, from Andrea Cascarano, Assistant Dean for Student Services. A Champagne Reception is held at the law school immediately following the ceremony for all graduates and their guests. The length of the reception is up to you, but most people plan to stay for about an hour.
Alumni at Graduation
Any graduate, who has an immediate family member (parent, spouse or sibling) who is an alumnus of Seton Hall Law School and would like that person to present them with their diploma at graduation, may make this request this through the Office of Student Services. To request a family member to present you with your diploma email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, your family member’s name; relationship to you (the graduate); the alum's year of graduation; and a phone number to contact you. The presenting alum is seated on stage with the dais, therefore last minute requests cannot be accommodated.
Interested in being the class speaker at Graduation? If so, note that you must send your written speech via email to Sharon.Carone@shu.edu by Noon, Monday, April 2. The top speeches will be selected for an oral presentation on Tuesday, April 17 between 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- NOTE: You must be available on this date for speech presentation. The Graduation committee will then select the speaker.
- If you are submitting a speech, it must meet the following requirements: The length of the speech should be between 6-7 minutes when read. Thus, please make sure the length of the written submission reflects this limitation to the best of your ability. NO NAME should be placed on the written submission. The speeches are anonymously selected during the written evaluation. Therefore, the speech should only contain your student ID number in the header. Emailing the submission to Sharon will also prevent any committee member from learning the identity of the author until finalists are selected. Also, please note that the final speech may be chosen subject to edits for time/content.
Interested in being a singer at Graduation? We will need performers for the National Anthem and SHU Alma Mater. Statements of Intent to tryout will be due by Noon, Monday, April 2. Please email your statement of intent to email@example.com tryouts will then be scheduled.
Photos will be taken by Island Photography. Each graduate will have two pictures taken: a formal portrait taken and a photograph of them receiving their diploma. Island Photography will contact each graduate directly about purchasing prints.
What to Wear
Casual/picnic attire is appropriate for the Cap & Gown Party. Business casual attire is appropriate for the Graduation Ceremony. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes to the Graduation Ceremony, as there is some walking involved and you will be using stairs to access the stage.
Thank you for your attention to this information. Please do not hesitate to contact Dean Cascarano with any questions or concerns at 973-642-8523.