Current Applied Research Projects:
- Accountability and Transparency in Governance of Charitable Corporations: Canon and Civil Law.
- Examination of the use of various legal instruments for the management and protection of assets among related corporations: Charitable Trusts, Community Foundations, Supporting Foundations, etc.
- A desk manual for management and directors of charitable organizations addressing such issues as:
- the inter-relationship of state law, IRS and Independent Sector principles of good governance;
- fundraising among related corporations;
- board responsibilities;
- independence of appointed directors;
- Uniform Management of Institutions Act, Uniform Prudential Investment Act;
- transfer of governance control from religious entity to lay control—explanation of relationship between canon law and American law;
- explanation of public juridic persons created in canon law to succeed to the governance positions in corporations formerly held by religious institutes;
- development of joint ventures with other religious and non-religiously affiliated organizations;
- ramifications of developing alternate sources of revenue;
- role of state law in related corporations incorporated in different states;
- religious affiliation and access to government contracts.