Applying for and Accepting Your Aid   

Financial Aid available for Law Students

Financial Aid
[email protected] | 973-642-8502 or 973-761-9000 ext. 8502

Learn about how to get started with your Financial Aid

  • Getting Started

    File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) here.
    When?  The FAFSA may be filed electronically any time after October 1, 2020 for the 2021-22 academic year*, using 2018 federal income tax information.  Seton Hall's priority deadline is April 1.
    What will I need?  You will need a FSA ID to complete the FAFSA, and Seton Hall Law's School code, which is:  G09986.  You will also need tax return information, which you may transfer electronically from the IRS database to the FAFSA.  You will need to know the address that was used on your income tax return.
    Which FASFA to file?  If you are beginning in fall 2021 semester, file the 2021-22 FAFSA. (The academic year begins with the Fall semester and covers the Fall/Spring/Summer semesters. MSJ or LLM students beginning in the spring 2021 or summer 2021 semester will file the 2020-21 FAFSA as well as the 2021-22 FAFSA.
    Do I need my parents information?  We do not require that you submit parental information on the FAFSA.  All graduate and professional students are considered independent students for purposes of applying for federal aid, however, you may be asked for parental data at a later time if you apply for certain scholarships. 
    Do continuing students need to file a FAFSA?  Yes, the FAFSA must be completed annually.  We encourage you to file early and to file a FAFSA even if you are unsure if you will require financial aid.
    Is a separate application required?  All students who wish to receive aid for the summer semester must complete the Seton Hall Law Summer Financial Aid form.

    1. Look for an email confirmation that your FAFSA was received and processed.  Log in to review the results, and to make any necessary changes.

    2. Submit additional information as requested by the Financial Aid Department. You may be asked for additional documentation to confirm your eligibility for federal student aid.  Failure to submit all requested documentation may result in the loss of institutional, federal, and state aid, which includes scholarships, grants, and student loans.

    3. Review your Award Letter. Financial Aid Award Letters are sent to admitted students on a rolling basis beginning in March.  Continuing students will receive an email to log into their account to view their awards.

    4. Apply For Loans.  The loan application process begins in late May for newly admitted students.

    5. Access Your Student Account.

    Office of Enrollment Services
    Seton Hall Law School
    One Newark Center
    Newark, NJ 07102-5120

    Telephone Number: (973) 642-8850 / 8733
    Fax Number: (973) 642-8956
    Email Address: [email protected]

    Office Hours
    Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
    Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Summer Hours
    Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
    Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

  • Applying for Loans

    Please make sure you read the instructions for each type of student loan below.

    1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    2. Bar Study Loans
    3. Federal Direct Grad Plus Loan
    4. Managing Your Debt
    5. Private Loans

    The loan application process begins in May for the upcoming academic year that begins in the fall.


    1. Accept Your Loans on LawNet.   Log into LawNet to accept your loans and view any outstanding documents (MyInfo tab, select Financial Aid and award year.)  You should carefully consider the minimum amount needed to meet your educational expenses for the academic year.  If you wish to adjust your loan amount after you've accepted it on LawNet, you must submit the Loan Adjustment Form.

    2. Complete Entrance CounselingRequired for first time borrowers at Seton Hall Law.  

    3. Complete a Direct Unsubsidized Master Promissory Note (MPN). Required for first time borrowers at Seton Hall Law.    


    1. Accept Your Loans on LawNet

    2. Complete the Grad PLUS Application Process. Complete the Direct Graduate Plus Application at Direct Plus Loans require credit approval by the Department of Education. 
      You will be asked to supply the loan amount, or an option to select the maximum amount for which you are eligible.  We urge you to carefully consider the amount you will need for basic necessities for the entire academic year.  You may increase this amount later in the year if you have not yet reached the maximum. If you wish to adjust your loan amount after you've accepted it on LawNet, you must submit the Loan Adjustment Form.

    3. Complete Entrance CounselingRequired for first time borrowers at Seton Hall Law.

    4. Complete a Direct Graduate Plus Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) Required for first time borrowers at Seton Hall Law.  


    Private educational loans are offered by private lenders to cover educational expenses (Cost of Attendance) not covered by other sources of financial aid.  Private loans are considered a part of your financial aid package.  Since federal education loans are less expensive and usually offer better terms than private student loans, we recommend that you utilize all federal loan options prior to considering a private/alternative loan.  Private student loans typically have variable interest rates, with the interest rate tied to an index, such as LIBOR or PRIME, plus a margin.  Some private loans do offer a fixed interest rate. 

    Seton Hall Law does not endorse or promote any private loan lenders, and does not maintain a Private Lender List, however, below is an alphabetical listing of lenders that have provided private loans to our students for the past five years.

    1. Citibank (1-800-967-2400)
    2. Discover Student Loans (1-800-788-3368)
    3. NJ Higher Education Assistance Authority (NJCLASS) (1-800-792-8670)
    4. Sallie Mae (1-888-272-5543)
    5. Wells Fargo (1-866-380-1727)


    Bar Study Loans are available to graduating students to cover the cost of Bar Exam expenses, such as Bar Review Courses, Bar application fees, and living expenses incurred while studying for the Bar Exam. Bar Loans are private loans that require credit approval by independent lenders.  Eligibility depends on criteria established by the lender.

    Students and co-borrowers must also meet citizenship requirements as established by the lender. Funds are sent directly to the student. Typically, you may apply for a Bar Study Loan if you are enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at an ABA-accredited law school, or have graduated from one within the last 12 months.

    Please contact the Office of Enrollment Services for additional information.

  • Summer Financial Aid Application Procedures

    To apply for financial aid please submit your Summer 2019 Financial Aid Application by April 16, 2019.

    Summer Financial Aid Eligibility

    Summer 2019 is considered part of the 2018-19 academic year for financial aid purposes. We must have your 2018-19 FAFSA processed to consider you for summer aid. Students must be registered at least half-time (In the summer this means a minimum of 4 credits for JD students and 3 credits for MSJ and LLM students.) You may apply for the amount needed to cover tuition, fees, loan fees, and living expenses. You must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). This will be reviewed prior to processing your summer financial aid. You must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen.

    Summer Public Interest Fellows (PILF) must also complete the 2019-20 FAFSA.


    Eligibility / Loan Amount

    The estimated amounts to cover summer 2019 living expenses for JD students enrolled on-site and living on their own is $4,840 and $2,300 for students living at home or with relatives. The estimated amounts to cover summer 2019 living expenses for MSJ students living on their own is $2,410 and $1,622 for students living at home or with relatives.


    If you have not reached the annual maximum amount of $20,500, we will process your remaining eligibility for the Direct Unsubsidized Loan.  Otherwise, we will process a Direct Graduate Plus Loan.
    Note:  If this is an initial Graduate Plus Loan request for the2018-19 year, please Apply for the Graduate Plus Loan online, and Complete the Direct Graduate Plus Master Promissory Note.


    If your enrollment plans change and you will not be enrolled for the summer semester, drop below half-time, or if you will no longer seek residency credit, you must notify our office so we can make the necessary adjustments to your financial aid. 


    The following are a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding summer financial aid.  If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How many credits must I take?
    Students must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for federal student aid. This means that JD students must take at least 4 credits in the summer and 5 credits for the fall and spring semesters.  MSJ and LLM students must take at least 3 credits in the summer and 5 credits in each the fall and spring semesters.  Please note that these minimums are for financial aid purposes, and may vary if you are applying for residency credit in the summer (JD students).

    What type of aid may I receive if I enroll for 4 credits?
    You may apply for a Direct Graduate Plus loan or a private loan.  Institutional scholarships are generally not credited for the summer semester. 

    What about Direct Unsubsidized Loans?
    Summer 2019 is considered a part of the 2018-19 academic year.  This means that if you have reached the annual Federal Unsubsidized Loan limit for 2018-19, you will not be eligible for further Unsubsidized loans until Fall 2019.  (The annual Unsubsidized Loan limit is $20,500.)

    I plan to attend another university as a visiting student during the summer. Is the aid process any different?

    The costs for attending another institution are determined by the host institution (the school you are visiting). Seton Hall Law will process either federal or private student loans and the disbursements will be sent to Seton Hall Law School. If you are applying for a Federal loan, federal regulations require that we wait until 10 days prior to the start of the semester to disburse funds to your account. We must have a Consortium Agreement completed and signed by an administrator at the financial aid office of the school you plan to attend. Once financial aid funds have disbursed, we will process a refund for you. You are responsible for paying tuition and fees directly to your host school. Please stop by the Office of Enrollment Services to pick up a Consortium Agreement which is due by May 1.

    I plan to apply for a summer Public Interest Fellowship. What affect does this have on my financial aid package?
    The Summer Public Interest Fellowship program is administered jointly by the Office of Career Services and the Office of Enrollment Services. Fellowship awards are approximately $4,000 for a ten-week assignment. Because the primary source of funding is from federal work study funds, applicants must have completed a 2018-19 FAFSA, as well as a 2019-20 FAFSA. The effects on your financial aid package will vary by student, so please consult with a Financial Aid Administrator to evaluate your situation.

  • Financial Services Checklist