This course explores the federal, state and judicial scheme designed to protect the privacy and security of financial information. Topics covered include:
- Regulation of sharing consumer information by financial institutes under the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act.
- Regulation of credit reporting agencies under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Identity theft and businesses’ responsibilities under the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) Red Flag Rules.
- Protections of individual financial information against the government under the Fourth Amendment and the Right to Financial Privacy Act (RFPA).
- State financial privacy law
- Breach Notification and Financial Privacy